Daughter has her '89 Pontiac Sunbird up for sale (
http://don.homelinux.net/megan/kurtie/index.html). I drove it to work today
so I could park it in a high traffic area with the "For Sale" sign there for
everyone to see.

I've not driven this car much, but almost fell in love with it today. Very
fuel efficient (30 mpg combined), peppy, and surprisingly roomy for my 6'4"
frame.  The AC is ice cold, so much so that I had to turn it down with an
outside air temp of 95F.

Since I hate to drive my 240D around when they are putting salt on the
roads, I am wondering if I shouldn't just buy this car from Megan and use it
for two purposes: (1) my one-mile each way commute to work, which if I
understand what Marshall tells me is NOT good for a diesel, and (2) all of
my winter driving, when the Iowa DOT is keeping the roads open with salt.

What are the implications of driving a diesel only on weekends (or maybe
once every few weekends for 100 mile road trips), and not at all during the
winter? If I put it into winter storage, what should I do other than to
disconnect the battery and throw a cover over it?

It rips my heart out each spring to see how much new rust has formed over
the winter. I'd like to delay the inevitable for as long as possible.

Thoughts?

D.

--
Proudly marching to the beat of a different kettle of fish.

BIODIESEL -- no oil war required.

1977 240D
1983 VW Quantum turbo diesel 5-speed
1972 Honda CB-500K motorcycle