****

> I tested the
> alternator and found exactly what I expected to find, a burnt diode.
> It is my belief that the inverter was faulty and caused a spike to
> flow back from the laptop, through the inverter and kill the diode.

Bummer!

It is possible that the inverter caused the problem - but almost
certainly _not_ the laptop or anything flowing back from it.

> I will never use an inverter or allow one to be attached to any of
> my vehicles in the future as a result.YMMV
> Feel free to forward this warning to list members so they can avoid
> the cost/inconvenience of a dead alternator.

I heavily use an inverter, 3-4 different W123s and in my mid-80s
Suburban. I have powered an IBM laptop, a Panasonic laptop, an
electric drill, a palm charger, a cell phone charger, a video camera,
and a soldering iron over the last 6 years.

I have had no problems (except the fan in the inverter wore out...) -
but that _could_ just mean I'm lucky!

At a previous job, we installed big inverters in the TV news vans.
Those ran broadcast video and audio electronics plus microway
transmitters. The only alterator diode trouble we had was a alternator
dead from the factory. Again, not proof - but more circumstancial
evidance.

--         Philip, who really likes his little inverter