-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Mitch Haley
Sent: Saturday, August 05, 2006 8:57 AM
To: mercedes list
Subject: [MBZ] FWD: electrical warning

Here's a word of caution on an unrelated topic: A fellow FEMA Inspector plugged
an AC
inverter into my cigarette lighter socket while I was driving, I had to stop
for fuel
and left the key in the 1st "on" position so the guys (Windows) computer could
finish
booting up. When I turned the key all the way off and went to restart the
engine, I
noticed more than the usual amount of pre-start warning lights. After
re-starting, the
"charge" light stayed on then eventually faded to a glow then intermittently
changed from
nothing to glowing to brightly lit.
I turned off the headlights and used the 5watt driving/parking light feature
incorporated
into the Euro lights to save some juice for the future. Due to the mechanical
fuel
injection, I was able to get where I was going and make the ~250mi return trip
home,
albeit somewhat in the dark, without a jump or charge.
I tested the alternator and found exactly what I expected to find, a burnt
diode. It
is my belief that the inverter was faulty and caused a spike to flow back from
the
laptop, through the inverter and kill the diode.
I will never use an inverter or allow one to be attached to any of my vehicles
in the
future as a result.YMMV
Feel free to forward this warning to list members so they can avoid the
cost/inconvenience
of a dead alternator.

Johnny B.
I Mac Therefore I am