You can buy one of those infra-red based temp sensor and then read the temp without touching. They are very handy, friend of my used one to confirm his passenger rear caliper was dragging based on the 50+ degree difference between left/ right sides of
his GM product. Replacing that improved his milage by 2 mpg btw.