Ralph W wrote:
Marshall,
I've had some unusual wear on my rear tires in the '90 300D and the car has a bit of squirrelyness to it. The outside of the rear tires wore very quickly. Could worn out links cause this? Could you be a little more specific on which links you mean. There are an awful lot of links and struts, etc in that suspension. As always thanks for your insightful information.

The steering "squirrelyness" and asymmetrically tire wear is usually a sign that the link bushings have aged and have collapsed. There are 4 links and a control arm (5th "link"). If the links are original all four should be replaced with revised ones on older 124s (the revised links were introduced in early model year 1991, but not before several months of production had occurred). If your car has revised links, then any whose bushings have decayed should be replaced. Try twisting them - if they move much, the bushings have decayed and the links need to be replaced.

I don't do suspension or steering work! You really need to talk with someone that has worked on dozens of 124/201/202 rear suspensions to deal with the fine points. The suspension is tricky and requires every piece to be correctly installed and adjusted (but it's a dream to drive when everything is working as it should). In some cases it's necessary to obtain modified "mounting kits" or different parts as some of the old and new parts are NOT interchangeable. I don't think it's all covered in the manual either. Most of what you need to know is covered in the manual 35-110 thru 130, but they make it seem MUCH easier than it really is!!

This is a time when I just take it to Rick at http://rc-imports.com/ and tell him the rear is steering the car and he replaces all the parts that require replacement and he doesn't replace the parts that don't need to be replaced. The cost has been modest and fair and when he's done, and each of the 4 cars he did links on, steered like they were on rails (and the tires wore evenly).

If either of the rear springs have broken (rare but it happens) or the spring pads or subframe mount(s) has/have collapsed, then it will be more involved and expensive.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)