Hi there from the Antipodes (again)

My wagon has been off the road for six weeks pending resolution of my
leaking spring struts issue. Back on the road yesterday, I noticed that
after the wagon had been sitting in the sun for a few hours, the speedo
needle was bouncing around significantly at speeds between 20-70 kph.
Typically, it passes through an arc of up to 10-12 kph. This makes it very
hard to judge road speed, an explanation which fell on the deaf ears of the
Constable and his radar yesterday afternoon.

At night, when conditions are considerably cooler, the speedo is relatively
steady at all velocities.

I've attempted to remedy this problem several times in the past by replacing
the speedo cable but this fix is never permanent. It seems likely then that
the fault is in the speedo instrument itself. After all, this - and not the
cable - is exposed to the heat of the sun.

So, a couple of questions:

(1)    Is it possible or wise to lubricate the speedo cable from the
instrument end?

(2)    Has anyone found and fixed the source of this problem in the speedo
instrument itself?

Thanks

Euan

1985 300TD 5-spd manual