I take my broken keys to the dealer and they consistently give me new key
heads free of charge.  Even they acknowledge that the quality has dropped.

On 8/18/06, Bob Rentfro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

What's the deal with these crappy keys? I've had three break in the last
three years...this last one lasted 7 months. This is stupid. I had one key
for all the years I had my 220D, one key for the life of my '81 330D, one
key for the life of my '86 190E (need I go on?).
I'm going to write to MB and tell them what crap they are sending us. In
the meantime, I'm going to take the rest of the cheap-ass plastic off and
fashion a lovely exotic hardwood fob/top like we all once talked about.
For some reason this really ticked me off tonight.
Back in the day, MB would have made good on these dumb keys. Now-a-days,
they will probably just do the electronic equivelent of wadding up my
letter, laughing and tossing the wad in the trash.

Bob Rentfro
'77 300D 157K
'87 Acura Legend  177K
Still waiting on '72 350SL  78K