Removed the cruise control actuator and the EGR valve so that I could
get to the exhaust manifold.  (This also allowed me to remove the
now-useless mount for the automatic transmission cable.)  None of the
manifold's retaining nuts were loose, nor was there any obvious
problem with the EGR assembly.  While I was there I noted that a 27mm
3/4" socket fit perfectly into the EGR valve's fitting, so I used the
somewhat larger 32mm socket to trace a circle on some 16-gauge sheet
metal and cut it out with tin snips.  I clamped the sheet metal circle
to the 27mm socket in the vise and used a small hammer to bend a lip
all the way around, using the socket as a mandrel.  This made a
circular metal cap to go in place of the EGR valve, which clamped down
nicely over the manifold fitting.  The intake pipe side also got a
similar plug, but using the 24mm socket as a mandrel.  This wedged
tightly _inside_ the intake pipe.  It took longer to get the clamp's
bolt started than it did to make the plug.  The vacuum fitting on the
firewall valving got plugged using a length of rubber and a metal plug
in the end.  At some future point in time I'll remove the intake
crossover pipe altogether, but that won't happen until I take apart
the intake manifold side.

While everything was apart I used brake cleaner and a wire brush to
get off the worst of the grime.  Starting the engine showed no exhaust
leaks at the EGR fitting or the exhaust manifold, but it became
apparent that the front muffler (resonator?  First rat of three in the
snake's gullet anyway) is leaking badly.  It'll have to come off for
me to have a look at it.

Took the car back to the alignment place.  They noticed that there was
more play on the right-side tie rods, and that the toe-in on the right
had shifted.  It took them three hours to dial it in, a large part of
this time was because the alignment machine was just acting flakey.
They even swapped machines, and both acted the same.  After _much_
fooling around, I finally noticed that the other alignment machine was
firing its laser across the shop right at the one we were using!
(They had a burned-out laser component to show me, and it's not a tiny
one.)  We put a big sheet of cardboard between the two cars and the
problems all went away.  Obviously the two machines were interfering
with each other.  This had never been a problem there before, but the
particular other car had a large toe-in value that was out of whack,
causing the laser to point across the shop and over to the other
alignment bay.  That fiasco cost us at least an hour.  Anyway, he
dialed in more toe-in to make up for the looseness of the aging
suspension, something he's had plenty of experience with.  We all
weren't sure what I owed them, so I offered them $20, he seemed happy
with that.  Not much of a return on their three hour callback session,
but at least they did learn something about dueling alignment
machines.

On the freeway the handling was much improved.  While it's not
perfect, I think I can blame most of it on loose parts that really
should be replaced.  (Someday!)

Anyway, only a few miles down the freeway I started losing power, and
when I hit the clutch it became apparent that brakes were sticking.  I
got over to the side and limped to the next exit, and then (foolishly,
I guess) tried to limp slowly to my next stop at the bank.  Right near
the end it started _really_ bogging down.  When I pulled in to the lot
the car could barely move and was smoking, and I even had to blow out
a small fire in the left rear brake area when I stopped.  Disaster!  I
tried to jack up the car to take off that wheel, and I couldn't get
two lug bolts out.  They'd siezed up.  I thought it was the parking
brake that had somehow gotten stuck on, because the handle didn't feel
the same anymore.  I'd had some previous trouble with it sticking on,
but not recently.

While the car was up in the air there was a loud POP-whoooooosh
blowout sound and the car was enveloped in a big white cloud of
nasty-smelling smoke.  At first I though a tire had blown, but in fact
the right rear brake line had melted and blown off the other side of
the car, spraying brake fluid all over extremely hot metal.  Once the
car had done this, however, it rolled again.  I determined that I
could take the car home at that point, the front and parking brakes
seemed to be OK.  I theorize that the overlong alignment session with
the brake pedal applied took out the rear section of the master
cylinder somehow, because both rear brakes had been stuck on together.
Once pressure was released what was left of the rear calipers released
enough to let the car roll again.

Obviously I now have an undriveable mess on my hands, and will need at
least a master cylinder (or rebuild), two brake hoses, and two caliper
rebuild kits.  I hope the heat didn't ruin the rear bearing seals or
the like.  Crap.  We'd just gotten the insurance turned on on this
car, but my wife called this afternoon and took it back off again, and
put on her brown convertible instead, the 450 SL.

There is some question as to whether the car had done this a bit
before, as my wife had reported that it couldn't get up to speed on
the freeway the first time she'd driven it, and I'd heard off and on
some odd brake-type noises, especially today.  Obviously it hadn't
done it much, or we'd have had a brake heating episode like this
before now.  Given the great mileage it had on the road trip it's
obvious that the brakes hadn't been dragging then.  I think the three
hours standing on the brakes did it in somehow.  (It shouldn't have,
obviously something was weak.)  I'd actuated both the service and
parking brakes on the freeway today, but nothing helped.

-- Jim