Thanks, John. I'll pass this info along to my son in case he buys one. I haven't heard yet whether he has or not. On the old VW Beetles, spark plugs were bad about siezing. I would run the car several blocks, getting the heads as hot as possible, then put a deep socket over the tight plug that was trying to sieze and rapidly squirt a large quantity of oil in the socket to cool the plug down. Then quickly put a wrench on the socket and slowly unscrew the plug. Never had to install a helicoil after I started doing that. It might be worth trying a similar technique on your glow plugs which want to sieze.
Gerry

----- Original Message ----- From: "John W. Reames III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I'm sure it has been said, but the last E300 diesel was the 99
TurboDiesel, then 2005-2006 is the E320CDI (I hear they are great, see a
few of them on the road, but haven't talked to an owner).

The 99 E300 is a FANTASTIC car :):) (okay, I'm still walking funny b/c the
last maintenance turned up out of spec lower control arm bushings, which
meant I needed tires and an alignment....) and I need to replace the
passenger seat occupancy sensor

With lots of highway driving, it goes 15k between maintenance (oil change
included, M1 0W40)

The E300's are turbo/intercooled in 98-99, normally aspirated prior. All
of them should be 4 valves/cylinder. They are prone to the usual issues
with leaking delivery valve seals (replaced mine, not a HORRID job, but
not worth $700!), weeping return lines (the OM61x hose will work in a
pinch), and the BIG BIG potential issue is siezed glow plugs. IF
you get one, look for a ~$2k head-in-the-machine-shop job.  When mine get
replaced (I'll let a mechanic do it the first time, then I will
pull/antisieze them). I'll be pulling/reaming/antisiezing them on a yearly
basis. The plugs are LONG (The "sleeve" is 2 1/2" from the head, and 1 3/4
from the threads) and no longer nickel/chrome plated, they are only cad
plated. The mode of siezure appears to be carbon packing around the
sleeve. I'm HOPING that LONG hard drives (188 mi/day) will help
prevent/remove any carbon that might be there (I bought it at 101k in
mid-november)

(Oh yes, they have the usual 210 issues, ie duovalve siezures, watch the
front spring perches, etc)

-j.

'99 E300Dt (130+kmi)
'85 300Dt (2xx+kmi (dont remember, its not my dd))