Joe said...

> But then the past couple of months it had no acceleration at  all. Would
> barely crawl along @ 40mph.  At 1st I suspected a vacuum leak,  but took
it to a
> trained MB mech, and he diagnosed it correctly as clogged fuel  filters.

That's the first thing I checked.  Filters seemed to be ok, but I figured it
was time for a flush anyway.  When I picked up the part from my indy I
bought his last can of Lubro-Moly Diesel Purge. Even though it was running
much better on the way home, I went ahead and replaced the fuel filters and
ran a can of diesel purge through it.  There was some gunk in the prefilter,
but that may be the result of the biocide I ran through it a few months ago.
I was worried about bugs growing in the fuel tank.

Also added a half quart of Mobil1 ATF to the tranny.  When I changed the
tranny fluid and filters earlier this year, I switched to Mobil1 ATF.  It's
been a few months, and I think all the seals have reseated.  Besides, I was
paranoid about overfilling it, so now it's up to the low mark.  Didn't have
time to do much of a road test, so the commute in tomorrow morning will be
the test.  I'll combine it with an Italian tuneup...looking forward to the
results.

Royce Engler
1985 300TD Turbo 285K