Mike:

That sounds like low mileage for a bad transmission. You need to find an mechanic that has experience with this type of MB transmission. He will be able to either adjust it for no slips, tell you he can make it some better, or pronounce the tranny is toast. Your run of the mill repair shop will not know how to do the adjustments. I'm not sure where you are located, perhaps a list member in the area can recommend someone. You might ever consider the MB dealership. If the tranny is toast, don't use a regular tranny shop. They have probably never worked on a MB transmission. You can get a rebuilt from Rusty for around $1,850 and get it installed for $300-$500. Of course, shipping of two transmissions might cost a bit. I think there is another rebuild shop in New Jersey that some have used. Since the car is in great shape I wouldn't hesitate to replace the tranny. As other posters have said that is 4-5 payments on a new car, or if you get another older MB it will likely take that much to get it into the same shape as your car.

Alan Duff
Knoxville, TN

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Alan

There are 187,000 miles on the car. I'm not the original owner so I don't
know what has been done before I got it.  I got it 40,000 miles  ago.

The fluid/filter was changed/flushed very recently.  The mechanic said  he
adjusted "something." It seemed to have changed the shift pattern slightly. Today when I drove it, it didn't seem to race/slip as much, but tomorrow's
another day!

Last week I took it to a tranny shop, and they said they would "fix" it for 1,800-1,900 dollars. Someone else said I should put in an exchange/rebuilt
one.

Even though the car is in great shape and I love driving it, I know the car is not worth the price of all the repairs that I could make to it. I would like to keep it though, and I'm having a great time fixing some of the other
things.  (door vac system, water leaks, etc.)