Same issue the GOP has. There are too many old folks who care vs. the young busy with living life to get involved in .. the future.

On Sep 10, 2006, at 1:13 PM, Christopher McCann wrote:

"In the Seattle section (mine),
sometimes the
events resemble outings from a retirement home."

Ditto for the Kansas City section.

Chris

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: <
MBCA has lost members. I'll do all I can to revitalize how MBCA works.>>

I have been an MBCA member for 21 years and I believe one of the club's major problems is that the average age of the members is going ever higher which reduces the available number of qualified people to run the organization. Take a look in Star at the photos of the members around the country and count the ones who do NOT have white hair. In the Seattle section (mine), sometimes the events resemble outings from a retirement home. And so you see the same names
running the local and national offices year after year after year.

What MBCA needs is a bunch of enthusiastic members in the 40-50 year age range to breathe some new life into it. But, what exactly does the club offer
besides social events (tours and wine tasting)?

And comparing MBCA to PCA and BMWCCA doesn't get you anywhere because the interests of the members of PCA (which I am very well acquainted with) are dissimilar. For example, this weekend at Pacific Raceways in Kent, Wa, PCA and the local BMW club are having a joint Driver Ed two day event and even though it's late in the season with iffy weather in the forecast, 160 drivers showed up
paying $160 per day each.

And of the nearly 60000 PCA members nationally, almost 1600 of them are in my Region which is western Washington. And we have over 100 grand in the bank
with a monthly publication that we spend 60 grand per year on.

And that's all possible because of a large DE program, a Drivers Skills
program (always a waiting list) and a nine event autocross program which usually
draws about 90 entrants per event. All of these events show a profit.

Tours have become a very popular thing (with lots of bad driving, a perpetual
problem) and usually about six technical presentation events each year.

Of course, PCA is light years beyond MBCA technically with a large National
Tech Committee on line to answer questions.

Take a look at www.pca.org and navigate to the Tech Committee's pages.

And PCA's Executive Council, despite their profligate spending practices (travel and meeting expenses paid for national officers and committees as required) cannot seem to make much of a dent in National's 3 mil bank balance.

RLE

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-1985 300SD, 216K, "Wulf"
-1982 300Dt, 117K, "little blue klatter box"
-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, "One Banger"