At some time fairly close to Mon, 11 Sep 2006 07:52:33 -0700,
rumor has it that Jim wrote:

> > And I think women today have tighter vices for their man's
> > equipage?
>
> Y'know, I think you meant vises.  Tighter vices doesn't sound
> all that bad!  :-)

from The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48

vives \vives\ (v[imac]vz), n. [OF. vives, F. avives (cf. Sp.
   abivas, adiva) fr. Ar. ad-dh[imac]ba. Cf. Fives vives.]
   (Far.)
   A disease of brute animals, especially of horses, seated in
   the glands under the ear, where a tumor is formed which
   sometimes ends in suppuration.

***************   and

Vice \Vice\ (v[imac]s), n. [F., from L. vitium.]
   1. A defect; a fault; an error; a blemish; an imperfection;
      as, the vices of a political constitution; the vices of a
      horse.

   2. A moral fault or failing; especially, immoral conduct or
      habit, as in the indulgence of degrading appetites;
      customary deviation in a single respect, or in general,
      from a right standard, implying a defect of natural
      character, or the result of training and habits; a harmful
      custom; immorality; depravity; wickedness; as, a life of
      vice; the vice of intemperance.

Vice \Vice\, n. [See Vise.]
   1. (Mech.) A kind of instrument for holding work, as in
      filing. Same as Vise.
      [1913 Webster]

   2. A tool for drawing lead into cames, or flat grooved rods,
      for casements. [Written also vise.]
      [1913 Webster]

--           Philip, with kdict within easy reach