Craig McCluskey wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 07:56:57 -0500 "Tom Hargrave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> This same decision is made over & over again. The issue has nothing to
>> do with morals, it has everything to do with survival!
>
> That's true. But what happens to us as a country long-term when we
> entirely lose our indigenous manufacturing capability and then the Chinese
> decide they won't sell to us?

Why would they slit their own throats?  They need us to buy their stuff
to keep their economy going.  It's far more likely that Chinese wages
will eventually rise to the point where it'll be less profitable to
manufacture there.  It's happened in some other nations.  China already
has, for the first time, a middle class.

People seem to have this idea that China is some kind of evil empire
that's just waiting to pounce on us.  I don't know where that comes
from.  Xenophobia, maybe.  I think some forces in our government also
think it's to their benefit to convince people we're in Cold War II,
since the first one was so profitable for defense contractors.