sudden it will only upshift based on speed and not throttle position as
well. Furthur it won't go into top gear no matter how high the engine
revs...Kickdown function still works.

Me either.  I'd say stuck kickdown except you've eliminated that.
I guess really check out that throttle linkage, though I'd think
that if it were going to slip it'd tend to slip the other way.

Regarding level checking , when the engine is not running the level is
some 50 mm or so higher on the dipstick than when engine is running - is
this OK. Furthur the cold fluid level check - is this also done when
engine is running?

Always running, always warm.  Otherwise the level is meaningless.
Officially, anyhow.

-- Jim