David's right on the money.  I got lucky in that my 'shop' vac is a
little old cannister with a hose that has a controllable leak built
into it's handle.  Using the usual plastic bucket I just set the
vacuum leakage so the the bucket just barely starts to buckle and keep
an eye on it as the hot oil tends to have an effect.  Only difficulty
I've experienced is figuring out how long is enough.  Five minutes is
more than enough, probably way more.  You absolutely do not need the
godzilla of vacuum cleaners for this little chore.

-joe