From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Jim Cathey
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 11:56 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] How many gears in an 83' 300D?

> All MB diesels start out in 1st. Most MB gas models start out in 2nd
> unless you do the L thing,

Not true.  The Albatross ('79 240D) always started in 2nd, unless
either you floored it or selected L while stopped.  L, otherwise,
selected 2nd, btw.  This was even in the owner's manual.

The 240D.  There's a car in desperate need of a first-gear start,
yet it didn't have one.  I'm sure they did it to give it that
sedate cushy car feel, 'cause the 1-2 shift was rather firm.
Kept in S around town, the car essentially had a 2-speed tranny,
and only shifted once.  Might help explain how that car had 300+kmi
on it and one of the best-feeling transmissions I'd experienced.

-- Jim