On 10/26/06, Loren Faeth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Has anyone removed the front speakers in a 124?  I assume the grille comes
up and the speakers come out the top.  Anyone BTDT?  any advice will be
appriciated.  TIA

Loren, if your '88 is like my '87, the angled trim strip to the inside
of the grille can be pried up.  There are two screws underneath.  A
stubby screwdriver and a helper with small hands will help to get them
out---there isn't much clearance between the windshield and dash at
that point.  After that the grille comes out pretty easily---it has to
be slid towards the inside, out from under some trim at the A-pillar,
and then up.  At that point I think it's obvious how to get the
speakers themselves out.  I seem to remember that they're just held in
by friction, but replacements will probably have to be screwed down
into new holes unless you shell out for the Rainbows that are an exact
fit (i.e. $$$).

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo
'93 Isuzu Trooper