Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:29:00 -0500
From: "Potter, Tom  E" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT - Old Rifles
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

I am not sure whether it was a 94 or not. I remember the bullets being
flat on the end--not pointed.

Tom Potter

---------------------------------
Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Yahoo! Small
Business.
From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Thu Oct 26 17:47:10 2006
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:47:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Curt Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Diesel List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

Too broad a statement I think... Witness the Savage 99 like I mentioned before.
.300 Savage is alot more like 30.06 than 30-30.

The bullet thing is alot more about the magazine than the action.
I think what you mean is that a lever gun's action favors a rimmed cartridge
like 30-30 vs a rimless like 30.06.
Thats true but I think mostly because of the way the extractors worked on older
lever guns which was partly because of metalurgy.
Most old lever guns throw the case straight up. Easy to design, and reliable,
bad if you want a scope and difficult to do with a rimless cartridge.
Newer guns side eject, more difficult to design and implement, better for
scopes and makes use of a rimless case much easier.

-Curt