Now my wife complains the car shifts very harsh and makes a big clunk doing so. I don't think I knocked the trans. modulator vac. line off because when I tried it I noticed it gets a little smoother when easing off the pedal.

You affected it somehow.  The vacuum valve on the IP is intended to
roughly simulate the effect of gasser manifold vacuum (with throttle)
for feeding to the tranny.  It's adjustable over a range, too.

Can I test the line without removing the intake crossover ? If I put a
Mityvac on the modulator end of the line, shouldn't it hold vacuum at
throttle off ?

Yes.  But make sure you're on the tranny line and not the one that
goes first to the IP, it has a controlled (and throttle-position-sensitive)
bleed on it.

You may have knocked a line off elsewhere that due to the natural
restrictions of small-diameter line has resulted in a lessening of
the vacuum supply in the car, but not enough to disable anything.
That would throw the calibration of the IP dingus off.

-- Jim