So, I was originally under the impression the 300SD was just a slight
variation on the 300D.
I'm now getting the impression that the 300SD is an almost entirely
different car but using the same engine and transmission.

So...  Which parts are the same or different? From what I've
gathered/guessed:
Same:
Engine
Transmission