Well, before I think about going out and messing with this replacement
gearbox that's already adjusted out a ways, is there some guide to how far
the adjusting screw can be tightened outwards before I start messing up the
seal and causing a leak as happened in my last box?  (assuming of course
that I'm reaching the end of adjustment/life on the box)

Thanks!
Levi

On 11/8/06, Marshall Booth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Gary Thompson wrote:
> I believer the FSM states 25mm, which is more like 1" of play. That's
> why I don't like 123 series cars, and why just about every 107 I've
> ever looked at (that had service records) showed a box replacement at
> some point. 123 drivers are often willing to accept an inch of play,
> but 107 drivers seldom are...
>

> Gary Thompson
> Georgetown, TX
> 1995 E320
>

> On 11/3/06, Levi Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I've definitely got more than 1/2" at the steering wheel rim.  And I'm
>> looking at the pitman arm as I'm adjusting so I can't see how I could
>> possibly be dealing with play in the wheel bearings or tie rod
ends(though
>> it seems as though nothing is simple in this steering system).  (:

25 mm is MAX allowable play. Do NOT attempt to get play below 10-15 mm
or the box will wear VERY fast. Often the play is the soft coupling on
the steering shaft.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.