I was flushing the radiator alone, removed from the car.  Once I ran the hot
water through the radaitor for about 20 minutes and had verified that the
radiator was evenly warm on both sides (remember-it use to be stone cold in the
center while in the car) I emptied the citric acid out and flushed the radiator
with clean water-both reverse flow and normal flow.  No more red flakes.
Tomorrow, I will hook up to the radiator hoses (already have a modified open
thermostat installed) and flush/air agitate the block for several hours.  Then
I'll install the radiator and see if it cools any better.

Luther

--
Luther   KB5QHU    Alma, Ark
'87 300SDL (270,491 mi) head case?