On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 13:33:10 -0500 dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> One question I have, now that the vacuum pump is open.  Should the two
> check valves be seated the same way?  Currently they are not: the check
> valve that leads to the brake booster hose allows air to be sucked
> inward, creating a vacuum in the brake booster.  The check valve that
> leads to the intake manifold is the opposite, allowing air to be sucked
> outward, toward the intake.  I'm pretty sure that the check valve that
> leads to the brake booster is correctly installed, but I'm not sure
> about the other check valve.  Even if it weren't correct, would it make
> that much difference?  Thanks again.

Think about what the vacuum pump is supposed to do:

   Diesels always run with little intake restriction (yes, I know about
   the damper in the 615.912 intake), so the manifold vacuum is lower
   than that on gasoline engines. The vacuum pump is supposed to
   provide a higher-than-intake-manifold vacuum by taking air from the
   brake booster and dumping it into the intake manifold, so the brake
   booster has more vacuum to run on.

So, your check valves are correct. It would make a lot of difference if
they were not correct.

Craig