I have owned several D24s, and they last forever if well maintained, but are not bulletproof by any means. I have never seen one have head problems unless they were severely overheated, but they have tons of small coolant hoses which can burst easily when old. I replaced mine with brass elbows and straight sections of standard size coolant hose, instead of paying the $500 to Volvo for all new hoses. I still managed to blow the oil to water oil-cooler and overheat the motor, and I am going to install a new head soon on mine. I think this is the case with any engine using an aluminum head on an iron block, but most engines have much less coolant hoses....

The rings seem to wear out before 100k miles if you use non-synthetic oil of the factory recommended viscosity, but people who run 5w30 Mobil 1 seem to have virtually no ring wear after several hundred thousand miles. I do not understand why this is, but do not ever use non-synthetic in one of these.

There are a lot of myths out there about how awful the D24 diesel is, but most of them are only true when compared to the longevity and bulletproofness of the Volvo red block gasoline engines. There are many people who have driven them over a million miles without rebuilds on non-synthetic oil. The D24T is smooth, powerful, low maintenance, and will get over 30mpg when tuned properly with a manual transmission.

Tyler Backman