I think the fuel economy depends on how you drive it. My experience is that the autos get under 30mpg, and the manuals get over (which is also consistent with their EPA fuel economy ratings). The autos do have a lockup torque converter, so should be similar to the manuals on the freeway. I'll second the comment about the rotary bosch injector pumps being crap compared to the mercedes type inline cam pumps. I wish there was a way to convert it over.

Mine has an all brass radiator from the factory. I think there was a certain year where they switched over. If you want to talk more about the D24 you can join the D24 list and keep it off of the mercedes list:

There are some very knowledgeable people on there.

Tyler Backman
1984 Volvo 760 Turbo Biodiesel
1974 Mercedes 240D 4spd, Biodiesel