Peter Frederick wrote:
> Note that I see VERY bright purple/blue glare off axis from them, not
> white.

They look bluish to me, too.  The blue color is problematic because
short wavelengths scatter more easily than long ones, creating more
glare.  Some people also feel that the blue-white color of HID lamps
creates a longer afterimage (that "spots in front of your eyes" effect)
than the yellow-white light of halogens.

In my case this is complicated a little by the fact that my glasses have
a bit of a chromic aberration -- bright blue objects aren't focused to
the same point as other colors, causing them to have an out-of-focus
'halo' around them.