ernest breakfield wrote:
>     i don't find it difficult to look at the road instead of oncoming
> lights,... why would it be difficult? it's not like my eyes are drawn to
> overly bright lights.

I find it helps to deliberately look towards the right shoulder when
going past cars with HID lamps, fog lamps, or their high-beams on, at
night.  It helps to avoid those afterimage spots.  Still haven't found a
good solution for SUVs tailgating me, though.  Someone needs to invent
an *outside* rear view mirror that's dimmable.

>     you touch on an interesting point, though; the windshield. i notice
> while most people will clean the bugs off of the outside, many people
> don't bother to keep both the outside and the *inside* as clean as it
> should be, and even non-smokers will find a build-up of glare-producing
> haze on the inside in surprisingly short order. obviously, it's worse for
> smokers... (maybe this is another reason i don't have the problems with
> this that some others seem to have; i keep both the screens i'm looking
> through and the lamps pretty clean.)

After a while stone pings and windshield wiper scratches become a
problem, too.  Not much help for those except a new windshield.