My first Benz, a 220D, came from Minnesota with a heater just like
yours. I used to set the heater on high, open both the floor vents and
the defroster vents, plug the engine heater in at night, and would
find the windshield partially clear of frost/ice in the morning from
the air convection in the heater box.
I've since switched to Mobil 1 and don't use a block heater any more ---