Marshall Booth wrote:
> There have been rumors that Mobil 1 has be switched to group III oils
> every year for almost 20 years. I expect that most of those rumors were
> started by people that made their living selling group III synthetics.
> It hasn't happened as of the last time I checked (about 4 months ago).
> All if the Mobil 1 Extended formulas are mixtures of group IV/V oils.

After digging a bit and tracing links back through a couple of different
forums, I found this, which seems to be the origin of the rumor:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=749606&page=2&fpart=1&vc=1

"Just shot some M1 EP 15W-50 into the Gas Chromatograph and was
surprised to find it based mostly on mineral oil (presumably Group III)
plus a good slug of AN. It may also contain a small amount of PAO, but
so small that I can't be certain."