Luther wrote:
Ok, so it's an old subject, but Kaleb's posted the question to me several times
about the cold starting on this car.  This morning it was 13 degrees when I
left for work.  Glowed for 15 seconds (counted by the ticking of the dash
clock) and turned the starter right after the glow light went out for 1-1.5
seconds, and it fired up and began to idle at 600 rpm (without any throttle
assistance), nearly as smooth as glass.  It only missed once after about 3
seconds of idling.  This car has Delo 400 in the crank and NOT Mobile 1 like my
SD which can be a tad more rough to start when it's that cold.  Sounds to me
like the compression is ok.
I am seeing a small amount of oil in the vacuum lines and have parts from Rusty
to rebuild the vacuum pump.  Though I still cannot see how 1 qt every 300 miles
can disappear through just the vacuum system.....

Figure out where the vacuum pump exhaust goes (into the air filter? in most 123s diesels I think) and that's where a bad vacuum pump sends most of the oil.

Marshall

--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)