To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2006 2:43 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 16 cylinders?

Andrew asked:<< is there any engineering limit on the no. of cylinders>>
I'm just guessing here -- based on things I've read - but I think the limit may have to do with the crankshaft flexing - the flat 12 Porsche used in the
917s of the early 70s had a seperate shaft that transmitted power from the
center of the crank - so the power was coming from the center and not the
end of the crank so the crank did not distort.

I need to read about the design of the 917 engine some more but that's what I recall --
I don't recall any engines with more than 16 cylinders -
Larry T (67 MGB, 74 911, 78 240D, 91 300D)