On Dec 26, 2006, at 10:59 AM, MICHAEL ESH wrote:

I have a 1983 240 D and a 1981 300SD. The oil filter is accessed from the top and they have a hollow metal shaft with two o-rings on the lower end of the shaft.
How often should these o-rings be replaced?
How do you clean out the hollow shaft? I use brake cleaner and compressed air. Are you supposed to run a wire or cleaning brush through this shaft to keep it clear or just rinse it out.
Thanks,
Mike

In my experience (been checking this for about 12 years now) the "O" rings start to get hard after about 20,000-25,000 miles. How soon before the oil pressure at idle drops (it will drop when the "O" rings are rock hard) is not clear but it takes MORE than 25kmi. This seems a little more critical in OM60x engines that have hydraulic "lifters" that can start to clatter at idle when the "O" rings get really hard.

If you replace the filter stem "O" rings when you change transmission fluid or fuel/air filters (about every 30kmi).

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)