To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 8:47 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Oil Filter Shaft and o-rings

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006, MICHAEL ESH wrote:

I have a 1983 240 D and a 1981 300SD. The oil filter is accessed from the top and they have a hollow metal shaft with two o-rings on the lower end of the shaft.
How often should these o-rings be replaced?

When they get hard and are deformed (square not round)

How do you clean out the hollow shaft? I use brake cleaner and compressed air. Are you supposed to run a wire or cleaning brush through this shaft to keep it clear or just rinse it out.
I used carb cleaner, but there is a spring/ball check-valve in the tube, I
think it is downflow only. I recall using the carb cleaner in the side
port(s) to flush it.

-j.