Ralph W wrote:
I' trying to track down a nasty oil leak. Jeff Zedic mentioned that he thought
the lift pump leaked which I assumed would be a diesel leak. The leak seems to
be coming from the IP side of the engine near where the engine mount bracket is
bolted to the block. Are there any common leaks on these engines? Does anyone
have any thoughts as to where this leak is likely coming from? Thanks in
advance.

Check the oil cooler lines, the front edge of the injection pump where it meets the block (if the "O" ring seal cracks the pump must be pulled to replace the "O" ring seal) and the air intake runners for cylinders 1 thru 3 where they attach to the head (the intake manifold gasket will leak oil that accumulates in the intake manifold). These are all known potential oil leaks. The bottom, rear and side gaskets on the injection pump will sometimes leak. The side gasket can be replaced in situ, but the pump must be pulled to replace the others.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)