Oh yeah, left that out.  Definitely filter it to about 5 microns.  I
wouldn't just go dumping it in. (though it seems you'd just have to replace
your car's filters sooners if you did).
I might also have a different opinion if I had a pristine Benz that was my
baby.  I view my 83' 300D more of as "the old tank".  (:

Levi

On 1/3/07, Marshall Booth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hans Neureiter wrote:
> Long ago there was a discussion on how much drained engine oil (Mobil 1)
is
> OK to put in the fueltank.
> I am finding it more and more difficult to drop off used oil at mac
parts
> places. They act annoyed and let you wait.
> At $ 2.50+ a gallon diesel it would also cut down the initial cost of
the
> oil.

The idea of pumping used motor oil (that is sufficiently contaminated to
be discarded) through the most precise piece of equipment in your car
(the injection pump and system) seems insane to me.

On top of that, motor oil burns hotter than diesel fuel so outside the
range that the engine was optimized for. Conventional motor oil burns a
bit more smoothly than Mobil 1! I've been told that the companies that
make the furnaces that burn used motor oil have recommended NOT using
Mobil 1 or other group IV synthetics, but I am not aware of their
reasoning.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.