In a message dated 1/7/2007 10:31:33 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Planning  to import  so called ' crated' engines for a  1958  and a   1965
Chevy Impala convertible .

currently these have straight  six engines as were  fitted to most GM export
models of that  vintage.
what  common  V-8 engine should be ordered for these  cars ?
I am sure some on the list will have trove of knowledge in  this area and
will appreciate advise and insight to this engine purchase
Mak,

The best bargain in crate engines is the 350 cubic inch, 300 horsepower,
with four bolt mains, advertised at many chevy dealers for $1495.  This is  an
all new, completely assembled engine from intake to pan and comes with a
50,000
mile, 3 year warranty.  This will use your carburetor and  accessories.  The
heads will be drilled to mount most any stock  accessory.

If you want fuel injection, the same engine, called the Ramjet, complete
with FI, wiring and computer, is $4495 and puts out 330 horsepower.  For  long
life, fuel efficiency, and reasonable horsepower, that is a hell of a  deal!

Either way, be sure to use a reduction gear starter to avoid the old heat
soak problems of standard V8 starters.  I have seen the Denso 2 hp  reduction
gear starter for as low as $70

Just Google crate engines or call up the automotive classifieds of any  large
newspaper on the coast  nearest you.  The Arizona Republic  has an ad in auto
parts nearly every weekend.

Regards,

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ