To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2007 10:29 PM
Subject: [MBZ] Vergasser vs. Diesel, was 87 TD for sale

Tom - I'm curious about your statement that oil changes cost more for
a 300E than a 300D. Is it due to the quantity of oil per change or the
oil change frequency?
I've been getting my oil analyzed in my Diesels lately, but haven't
been doing them for the vergassers. Since I'm extending the change
interval considerably on the basis of the analysis results and
changing per the factory recommended schedule in the vergassers, the
Diesels are costing less per mile for oil changes. I'm not factoring
in fuel costs, only oil changes.

the maintenance cost is also higher with a diesel. Both oil changes & oil
filters cost more. I also understand the longevity of a diesel but both of
my 300E's went well over 250,000 miles.

It's time to figure the fuel differences - something I've been meaning
to do for a while now:
Today, RUG is $1.94 and Diesel is $2.35 in OKC. The 450SLC gets 14mpg
on my 50 mile/day commute. That's 1000 miles per month, and $138.57.
The 300D 2.5 gets 24 to 25 mpg on the same commute. That's $97.92 for
the month. The cast iron 117 engines are known for longevity as well -
the only reason I could find for having to re-build mine was very
dried rubber seals, and loose intake manifold bolts on one side.
My particular cars and yours are different - this comparison does not
apply to anyone else - just thinking while typing - not challenging
any one's conclusions or choices.

--
OK Don, KD5NRO
Norman, OK