There was evidence of steam cleaning/ pitting  in cambers though.

Thanks
PEter

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 08 January 2007 03:59 PM
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Cracked OM 617.91 head

In a message dated 1/8/2007 12:55:09 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Eventually I dismantled my 300GD engine ( OM617.91 ) and discovered  a
crack on cyl #1 between the two valves. Engine has never overheated  in
last 6 years I have had it and water usage is negligable ( 0.5 l /
20000 km ). Is this problem commonplace ?

Peter,

I have replaced cast iron heads on the four cylinder 616, and my current
617
car.  In both cases, you KNOW they are leaking and the engine overheats

forthwith.  When I began overhauling my 79, I found that the used head (
on  there
6 years)had a crack between the valves but had never shown a sign of
leaking.  I think some cracks are common and can be ignored.  Sign of
leakage, such
as water consumption and steam cleaned combustion chambers should  NOT
be
ignored.

I also have an aluminum 603 head  (#18) that was cracked between the
valves
on number 6 cylinder, and it did not show signs of leaking either.

Of course, if someone was paying a shop to rebuild an engine, the
incidental
cost of $550 for a new bare head would be a good insurance  risk.

Regards,

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ
79 300SD, 264 K miles