Check or change the "soft break" lines, replace the front brake wear indicator units, bleed system replace with a good brake fluid I use approved Valvoline synthetic if it has not been done in a few years or less depending on driving.

Regards Tom Scordato
----- Original Message ----- From: "MICHAEL ESH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 6:33 PM
Subject: [MBZ] Rear Brake Job - 1983 240 D

I am replacing the brake pads, rotors and emergency brake shoes on my 1983 240 D in next week or so and was wondering if there is any thing else to check back there while I have things apart? Is there a way for a lay person to determine if the axles need attention? I have replaced the front calipers and pads already. I am not sure of the condition other than the pads are very worn and the car sat outside for at least three years before I bought it. I had to break loose the pads form the rotors before we could move it.The rear brakes squeal mildly occasionally especially after a highway trip however they quiet down fairly quickly. Also the emergency brake pedal isn't effective unless it is depressed almost all of the way. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mike in Michigan
1983 240D - 288000 miles
1982 300TD