I just happened to scan the TV past PBS and caught the back end of
Motorweek. They were reviewing the '07 E320 Bluetec. (hope I have the number
correct)

They had nothing but good to say (they always say almost exlusively good
things about the cars they review, leading me to believe they get paid by
the car manufacturers to "advertise" their models).

The thing that struck me is that while he acknowledged that it was a diesel,
and touted it as an environmentally friendly alternative, along the lines of
hybrids and the like, he mainly referred to it as a "Bluetec". I know this
is the name being used for these new diesels and that it refers to some new
clean technology, but it made me wonder if Mercedes is trying to avoid the
use of the word "diesel" and thereby cut down on the negative stereotypes
associated with the word.

Brian