From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of David Brodbeck
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2007 2:00 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] [OT] Radial Engines

Rich Thomas wrote:
> My neighbor in Massachusetts had many hours in B-17s, and visited
> Germany several times in them, making some deliveries of American
> industrial products, but never got the opportunity to stay any length of
> time.  He was also afraid of heights, couldn't climb a 6ft ladder, but
> had no problem in the left seat with the considerable excitement going
> on all around.  He had no explanation for that contradiction.

They're really two different experiences.  You can't fall off an
airplane...at least not most of them. ;)  You've always got a
solid-looking floor under you.  Psychologically speaking a ladder feels
much more precarious.

I've also known pilots who got nervous on commercial flights.  It was a
control issue, for them.  Kind of like people who drive fine but get
anxious when someone else is at the wheel.