LarryT wrote:
Howdy -
I changed the oil today and I checked the post that goes down the center of the oil filter. I checked the hole in the end and the hole near the top of the post - both seemed clear but there was a blockage about 2" up from the bottom. It seemed to be very solid. I tried to push it with a large paper clip and it wouldn't budge. I tried to blow carb cleaner thru the bottom hole and only got some seepage from the upper hole. Same using compressed air - very weak flow.

3 questions - is the post supposed to be hollow with a clear opening between both holes?

    What's the purpose of the holes in the post?

    Is this covered in the WSM?  Where?

There is a valve that prevents flow from the bottom to the top hole. You blow the stem out by blowing in the top hole and any contained oil will come out the bottom (and stain your driveway, clothes, etc.)!

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)