So in an 85 300SD and 82 300D...where abouts do you think/guess that  RPM point
is past where you don't get any more charging power?

  Thanks,

  Chris

Werner Fehlauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  Chris - yes, the curve isn't
linear.  And the limitation is field magnetic
strength, current capacity of the windings, connections, and controls, and
mechanical rpm limits where things begin to fly apart.  But generators and
alternators both generate power from a coil of wire rotating through a
magnetic field, or vice versa.  DC generators have another point of
limitation, the commutator and brushes, which can only handle a finite
amount of current for their size before heat burns them up.  Alternators get
around that by rotating the magnetic field, energized through slip rings,
which don't have to carry nearly as much current.  Usually, the regulator
limits the current to protect the rectifying diodes from self destruction
from heat, and that should happen before the main coils and insulation begin
to fry.
So in practice, you are correct - at some point, the protective circuitry
should limit the output current so that it doesn't "cook" itself to death.
Remove the regulator, and it is theoretically possible to get more current
with more rpms, at the risk of ruining the alternator or what's connected to
it.

Werner