Yes, the steering wheel is usually recommended to be removed first - makes the job a lot easier, especially in a 107! I've managed to remove the IC on both my 124 and 126 with the wheel in place, but in any case its almost impossible to get behind and push it out, especially the 126 with its large knee panels. Of course, there's no oil line to fool with, but getting at the speedometer connection is still a challenge! The only grief I had on the 124 is that some of the factory applied adhesive on the dash covering had been slopped over, so that the IC was stuck in the glue. Had to really pull hard (even bent the hooks a couple of times) to break the glue bond.

The hint to clean and perhaps replace all the light bulbs is a good one - saves going through the whole thing again just for a bulb!

Werner

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hendrik Riessen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2007 9:06 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 85 300D Instrument cluster removal

Well, whichever method is used, I would still recommend placing a
towel/large rag in front of the cluster. Just in case it does pop out and
hit the steering wheel. I suppose to make it easier, removing the steering
wheel is not a bad idea.
Anyway removing a cluster out of a 123 is a picece of cake compared to a
201, especially if you have big hands.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Werner Fehlauer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>