kevin kraly wrote:
Thanks, Jim! I want to find out how the GP's and relay are working in the infamous Black '85 300D I'm checking into. If everything's in order and it still won't start, it's probably in much the same state as the $500 1981 300CD that I had. It had tight, VERY TIGHT valves , and the GP's didn't work on that car at all!

Tight valves are simply a matter of adjustment. And since they require adjustment (or at least a check that they are properly adjusted) every 15kmi, it's likely that the Black car has tight valves too. But you just adjust the valves and that's the end of that.

As to glow plugs, replacing the plugs, the fuse and the relay will cure almost any preglow problem. An otherwise perfect car with preglow issues and tight valves will often not start, but could represent a great buy. The cost to get it into perfect condition would be rather modest.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)