Andrew - I have a 2 post asymmetrical lift that does indeed require 220V, but the real problem is that it needs 12 ft of ceiling clearance, as the cross over cabling is overhead rather than on the floor. Great to work on a car when you want to have free movement underneath! Fortunately, when I replaced a 45 year old pole barn, I made it a bit larger and with a 12 ft clearance. The floor needs to be 4-6" of 3000# concrete, and its a snap to rent the proper concrete drill for a couple of hours from Home Depot to drill the 8 holes for installing the anchor bolts. There are shorter models, but most of them require a small connecting channel (about an inch and a half high) that connects the 2 towers, for the equalizing cables and hydraulic lines to cross over. A minor "tripping" hazard but necessary if you can't go the overhead route.

Werner

----- Original Message ----- From: "andrew strasfogel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 9:06 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: Was HF Flux Wire Welder - Now Got a Lift?

On the subject of equipment, I am hankering to purchase a car lift for my
garage. 2 Post or 4 Post? I have limited ceiling height and would have to
do electrical work to accommodate the 220 volts needed for a 2 post system
that's bolted to the concrete floor.  I'm not inclined to a 4 post system
even though th4ey are 110 volts and require no installation because of the
clutter and extra room required.  Does anyone have a garage lift or one of
those major jacking rigs that lift a car maybe 5 feet?