Clay -
If the more traditional fixes don't fix it, take what Jim explained to
heart. My '81 380SL did that for a while and I finally traced it to a crack
in the foil trace on the back of the instrument cluster P.C. board

Barry

 The charge light is hooked between the field and the battery.  If the
alternator is
not generating current the light supplies field current.  If there
is a bad connection to the battery, current will flow backwards
through the light, also lighting it.

In other words, it could be any number of things.  A voltmeter
and an ammeter are really required in order to be able to pinpoint
what is truly going on.  I'd check the brushes first, the belt
tightness, and the state of the connections between the alternator
and the battery.