Peter Frederick wrote:
> External media communication with the Mac is only a problem because the
> vendors refuse to write the correct drivers, not because there is
> anything inferior about the Mac.
>
> It's a pain, but then so is the fact that PC manufacturers ALWAYS
> decide to use a different spec of anything that Apple used a couple
> years earlier, making stuff for the Mac hard to get.  For example, 64
> bit memory in the IIfx -- only used by Apple in that machine and some
> printers, because IBM deliberately chose a slower, less expandable type
> in DX-2 line....
>
> My only real complaint with Apple over the years was refusing to
> support parallel printers -- this cost them most of the buisiness
> market and third party support for a long time.

Apple needs to step up and take responsibility for some of its problems
 IMO. I have on a couple of recent occasions had to help Mac laptop
users connect to a non-apple wireless port. "But it works good with an
Airport hub" they blubbered. Probably so, but Apple went with their own
half-assed encryption method that doesn't jibe with anything the rest of
the world does, so these sad sacks find themselves double fckd, can't
connect to encrypted wireless out there in the non-Mac world and when
they find out, they can't even RTFM since they don't have internet access.

Since Apple went with their own protocol, there are three separate rules
for encrypted wireless in the Apple world- one if you have a mac and are
connecting to an Airport hub, a second if you have a non-apple wireless
hub and an apple laptop, and a third if you have a non-Apple laptop and
are trying to connect to an Airport hub (good luck on that one, unless
you have a buddy with administrative level access to the hub.) Totally
pointless, worthless and weak. What you get when you go down the
proprietary road.

Lee

Email is protected by DesertGate Spam Filter
http://www.desertgate.com