Ernest,

I actually picked the data out of an article in an auto trade magazine while
waiting to visit a friend who is a salesman at the local Lexus dealer. The
magazine reprint was at the Lexus dealer because they were rated #1 last
year. The article ranked the top 20 by model & then broke out the top 20
reported defects by type. My point is that the defects were not as serious
as defects reported in decades past.

As far as "more excepting", I'd hardly say so. I've been around long enough
to remember when the Dodge trucks I purchased in the mid 80's both had at
least 3 defects and the Oldsmobile's we purchased in the early 80's went
back to the dealer multiple times. One returned 4 times to fix a sun roof
leak issue. The Olds we bought in the late 70's also had issues that the
dealer had to fix under warranty.

And by the way, I'm not picking on American cars. Several friends who drove
Toyotas, Mercedes & BMWs were also making what seemed to be regular trips to
the dealership. One friend's new BMW was so unreliable that he was afraid to
take it out of town. He finally gave up after a year and traded it in on a
Volvo, a turbo 740GL from memory.

Also, you need to understand that my background is Quality Engineering &
Quality Management and I did not make the " I bring this up because as
quality improves, so do our expectations." statement at a whim. It is true
that we scale our expectations, including our Quality expectations to our
environment.

Thanks,
Tom Hargrave
www.kegkits.com